Monday, August 11, 2008

playing favorites

I can't sleep so I blog hopped and ended up reading previous entries from Chico Garcia's Blog. I swear, I've been reading a lot of "artistas and celebrities" blogs and they are very interesting (those that I was able to discover and read, I mean) I am just shy to include them all in my Blog Roll. Pero siguro the right time will come. He is also into photography, so I'm enjoying all his photos as well. Niwey, this entry catched my attention and I want to share it with you guys. I hope okay lang kay Chico ;p Are you a listener of RX's Top Ten? I used to listen to their program everyday, pero ngayon wala na akong time... at radyo, hahaha! :)


This is a touchy subject for many people. Given that Filipino families are generally big, it’s a fact that for every parent’s favorite, there are 3 or 4 or more kids who are not. And it’s also a fact that all kids crave for their parents’ approval, which more often than not, ends up in frustration. Nothing against the favorites, it’s just that we outnumber them. Hmph!

April 11, 2008 → The Top Ten Signs That You Are NOT Your Parents’ Favorite

  1. Shiver - When my father got back from working abroad, he bought my sister a very expensive guitar. I asked for a Pictionary, but they refused because it’s “expensive”. I settled for a Visionary which costs less than 500 pesos. My mom was glowering at me like anything a few days later that I offered to pay for the toy just to settle it. Guess what? She accepted.
  2. Archangel Miguel - My mom would lend my stuff to my kuya without my consent. But if I were to do the same to my kuya’s stuff, I’d get reprimanded.
  3. No name - During my high school graduation, my dad chose to bring my sister’s clothes for her UP med sorority initiation instead of attending my graduation. I decided not to attend my graduation.
  4. Jose de Vengenge - I grew up w/o a dad. On my HS graduation, it was my brother who went w/ me because my mom had “work”. After the ceremony, kuya decided to treat me to a mall, pampaalis ng lungkot baga. And there we saw mom w/ her officemates, laughing & having a drinking session on a hot afternoon. Lalapitan sana ni kuya pero sabi ko wag na. When kuya confronted her at home, she said it was a lunch meeting.
  5. No name - When my brother graduated, they bought him a new car. When I graduated, I got a pat on the back, as they told me, “Good job, now you can earn and buy whatever you want…”
  6. No name - The people in our village know that my parents only have 3 kids - we’re actually 4.
  7. stalecookie - If the electric bill, water bill or any utility bill goes up, it’s automatically your fault, no questions asked.
  8. BM - Pag umuwi ang parents ko from an event, kakainin ko yung take home nilang food. Tapos, sasawayin nila ko and say, “Wag mong ubusin yan! Di pa kumakain ung iba!” Eh tatlo lang naman kami sa house. Wala naman akong kapatid.
  9. Acer/Pugong Tagalog - When you’re the panganay but you’re the one who gets the hand-me-downs.
  10. Jack - When my brother passed the chemical engineering licensure exams, my mom said, “Ang galing!” When I passed the interior design licensure exams, she said, “Naku, naka-tsamba ka!”
  11. Pia - My father once said to me, “Ikaw ang pinakamahina ang kokote sa inyong magkakapatid. Hindi ko alam kung paano kita ipagmamalaki.” I never talked to him since…
  12. Tonks - When my brother almost got separated, my parents tried to patch things up between them. When me & my hubby had a terrible fight, they told us to just get separated, as simple as that.
  13. Almond811 - At breakfast, there was one fried egg left and I forked it over to my plate. Mid-air, my mom says, “Uy, that’s for your brother.” But we both haven’t had breakfast.
  14. Ciela - We are 3 sisters & a youngest, ONLY brother. One day, my mom served fried eggs for the 3 girls, and fried chicken for the only boy. She said wag na kami magtampo kasi pareho lang naman daw yun. Yung lang sa amin, niluto na, di pa nagha-hatch.
  15. tummy illfigure - If after 20 years, you realize that the birthday party you celebratd when you were young, was actually the bday of your older brother. This is after I reviewed the photos showing the same guests wearing the same clothes.
  16. SupladaMD - When I was still in Med school, I asked if I could borrow the family car because I couldn’t carry all the books I had to bring to an overnight study group. They told me, “Naku di mo pwede gamitin yung kotse, kasi susunduin ng kapatid mo ang girlfriend nya.”
  17. Tony - Family tradition: When someone graduates, our parents would ask, “car or cash?” I’m the only AMA grad in a family of UP grads. When I graduated, I was the only one who wasn’t offered any.
  18. Ms. Fickle - When you cooked a special meal for the whole family, tapos sasabihin ng parents mo, “Wow! Sarap naman niyan! Anong meron?” — forgetting it was your birthday.
  19. Tani - When you saw a years-old letter from your mom w/ part of that letter stating “MAS MAHAL KA NAMEN NG PAPA MO KESA SA ATE MO…”
  20. Mr. Perk - They call your other siblings w/ sweet nicknames and terms of endearment, while all you get is “Ssst, halika nga dito!”
  21. Chacho - Every Christmas when I was a kid, I would always get cash as a Christmas present, whereas my brother would get the most hi-tech toy and my sister would get the biggest Barbie house and accessories. They always gave me cash because they never bothered to know what I liked, kaya ako na lang daw ang bumili ng gusto ko.
  22. Powerful Alice - Hindi ka paborito ng parents mo kapag nanghingi ka ng 500 pesos tapos ang sagot nila sa iyo ay: “Ha? 400? Ang laki naman ng 300! Saan mo naman gagastusin ang 200? Akala mo ba madaling kitain ang 100? Singkwenta nga lang, hirap na ko! Sampu pa kaya? O, etong lima!”
I find the entries touching and funny at the same time. Pero meron akong alam na story na swak sa Top Ten na 'to. I don't know kung ano ang mas winner... so choose :)

Hindi ka paborito ng parents mo kapag narinig mo na sinabi na, "Eh bakit kasi dito pa kumukuha ng kanin"

or

Hindi ka paborito ng parents mo kapag nakita nila na binubuhat mo ang mga naka-box mong personal na gamit palabas ng bahay at hindi ka man lang tinanong kung saan ka pupunta.

Hahaha!!! Ayos ba!?! =)




No comments: