Thursday, April 16, 2009

Good Friday Procession

Months before the Holy Week, I was planning to spend the long break in Bicol and enjoy the sands of CamSur and Caramoan. I don't know what exactly happened, I was told some people backed out from the said trip. So it was canceled.

Weeks before the Holy Week, Mels sent me an SMS asking if I want to go with her in Manaoag then go to a beach in Bolinao, Pangasinan afterwards for a little R&R. She even emailed me pictures of the resort where we're gonna stay. I said yes. But that too was canceled.

Rellie was asking, "Bakit aalis ka pa? Bakit hindi ka na lang umuwi sa Cabiao?" And he started telling me stories about how they spend the Cuaresma in Nueva Ecija. The Visita Iglesia, the procession, the bukid lunch, his "panata", and the Php120 special halo-halo that he said he'd buy me one if I go with him. That did the trick.

We joined the solemn Good Friday procession which made it's way around the streets around 5PM. It was my first time to see the parade of antique images of saints bigger than me. This is something which tourists should see as well. Imagine how many people carried the whole set of "The Last Supper". There were a lot of people watching so it's hard to get a good angle for photo taking.


CREDIT:
PAPER from The Colurs of Tuscany by Chaos Lounge
FLOWERS from Brise Marine Kit by Petit Moineaux

I uploaded more photos in my facebook account. It was a long procession. Sabi nga ni Rellie, "Magdasal ka ha... 'wag ka puro picture jan!" Here's the list of what we saw:

1. San Pedro
2. Ang Mabuting Samaritana
3. Nasalubong ni Jesus si Magdalena
4. Pagpasok sa Jerusalem
5. Pagpapahid ng Pabango ni Magdalena sa Paa ni Jesus
6. Huling Hapunan
7. Pananalangin sa Getsemane
8. Apong Nakagapos
9. Si Jesus sa Harap ni Pilato
10. Senor dela Pacencia
11. Nazareno
12. Tres Caida
13. La Pieta
14. Virgen dela Soledad
15. Santa Marta
16. Santa Veronica
17. Maria Jacobe
18. Maria Salome
19. Maria Magdalena
20. Santo Entierro
21. La Dolorosa
22. San Juan Evangelista


The center of attention is the "Santo Entierro" (Holy Internment). Right after the procession, the locals will then get all the flower decors of the Santo Entierro as they believe these are miraculous or blessed. Nanay was able to give me some and she told me to keep it in my wallet. I also learned that Rellie's family mixes the dried flowers and leaves from the Santo Entierro with the fertilizers for their farm. Everything for good harvest.



Another interesting thing is that part of Rellie and his Nanay's Good Friday "panata" is to help carry the Santo Entierro as it is being brought back inside the Cabiao Church.


CREDIT:
PAPER from Purple Addict by Kawouette
RIBBON by Anja Jahn


Once laid in the altar, people then line up and they are given a few minutes to say their prayers. Some even wipe their handkerchief in the Santo Entierro.



After prayers have been said, they carry back the Santo Entierro to its glass cabinet.


CREDIT:
PAPER from Fall Fever


Despite the heat of the sun, the fact that it's hard to move around, and the long walk... I'd say that this is quite an interesting experience for me. I was amazed by the sheer volume of people who join the Good Friday procession. Add to that the many grand heirloom carrozas and santos. This really is a nice sight to behold. You should try this sometime.

No comments: