Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Maundy Thursday Visita Iglesia

Part of the Filipino tradition during Holy Thursday is to visit seven (7) churches some even fourteen and this is called "Visita Iglesia". I remember experiencing this with the Tabaquero's a long... long... long time ago. As in ages ago! You see, my family is not your typical "Catholic family" who prays together. And we don't have our own car to begin with (Oh yeah, that's a super lame excuse!). Anyway, I am lucky that I am spending the Holy Week break with Rellie's family. I had the chance to enrich my faith. By 8PM we're off to do the Visita Iglesia with Pampanga churches on our list. You see, Cabiao is next to Arayat, Pampanga so it's easier to do the Pampanga route than to go up north Cabanatuan. I was with, Rellie, Nanay, Tito Greg, Erwin (Rellie's cousin whom they call Japok or Hapon), Inang and Chin (Inang's household help).



I don't have photos to share, that's the only one I took. I thought everyone will be so serious with their prayers and reflections and the camera flash might disturb them. But on the third church that we visited... camera phones, digital camera, videos are all over the place. Rellie was a bit puzzled, "Hindi ka magpi-picture Chenelyn!?!"

Pampanga Churches are indeed beautiful. And I heard they are hot on the Visita Iglesia map. Here's the list of the churches we visited. I hope I got the church names right.
  • St. Catherine Parish, Camba, Arayat Pampanga
  • Arayat Church, Arayat Pampanga
  • St. Anne Parish Church, Sta. Ana, Pampanga
  • Sto. Domingo Parish Church, Santo Domingo, Mexico Pampanga
  • Sta. Monica Parish Church, Mexico, Pampanga
  • Metropolitan Cathedral of San Fernando, San Fernando Pampanga
  • Cabiao Church, Cabiao, Nueva Ecija
So what's on your list? I hope it's not seven beaches There's a time for everything.


1 comment:

karen hazel said...

Wow...sa tin hindi uso yan. hehehe mag-stay na lang sa bahay and maginuman maghapon magdamag :))